App Radio Forums » AppRadio 2 » Android » ARLiberator v » Samsung Galaxy S3 & ARLiberator - Full Setup Description Welcome back, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Samsung Galaxy S3 & ARLiberator - Full Setup Description
10-17-2012, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 09:15 AM by Idefix.)
Samsung Galaxy S3 & ARLiberator - Full Setup Description
How to connect a Samsung Galaxy S3 to Appradio using ARLiberator
(………..or how I configured my system…………)

--- UPDATED: 20 Nov 2012 ---

After tinkering around with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (running ICS) and Appradio for some time, bugging Kyle and reading through the posts here, I finally got it to work and would like to share my setup here.
I hope this will help some of you running into similar problems as I did or serve as a stepping stone for better configurations.

Disclaimer: some of the below was previously posted in the forum by some of you guys. Hence the full credit for the ideas and solutions presented here belong to the original owners of the content !!!

The Hardware:

In order for the S3 to work with your Appradio2 you will need:

- 1x standard HDMI Cable

- 1x Samsung MHL Adapter for S3 (important as the S2 MHL adapter will not work)
E.g.: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080CX...06_s00_i00

Or you can use a Samsung S2 MHL adapter with the following converter: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Samsung-A...amsung+mhl

[REMOVED as it does not work 100%: Alternatively the wireless version - Samsung All Share Dongle (http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/a...cast.html) - seems to work as well as reported by Cirus in the forum. Check it out here: http://appradioforums.com/Thread-Galaxy-...8#pid1578]

- USB power supply with micro USB port and at least 1Amp (less than 1amp will still cause your S3 to drain battery while connected).
The power supply will connect to the MHL adapter and provide power for the adapter (will not work without power) as well as the phone.
You can either use a “cigarette lighter” power supply and hardwire it together with a USB <->micro USB cable to the MHL adapter (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-...hter+plug) or a hardwired USB power supply such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200610319068?ssP...1497.l2649

- Optional: For the European version of the Appradio you will need to connect the handbrake sensor wire from the Appradio to ground (I clipped it to the main ground wire of the radio) in order to allow the apps to be accessed while the car is in motion (naturally your passengers will play with the radio and not the driver while the car is in motion).
For the US version of the Appradio a more complex parking brake bypass circuit is required. As I have the European version I have not tested the circuit but, based on the descriptions in this forum, it works as advertised. Tipton provided the link for this (and the other items above) in his post in this forum: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110953585116?ssP...1497.l2649

Testing your S3:
With the Appradio and the MHL adapters installed, download the Appradio app from the play store and test your Appradio function to ensure everything works.

Once all is confirmed working, uninstall the Appradio app from the S3.

Now LIBERATE your APPRADIO !!

1st Step – Root your S3

Rooting
I found the easiest way to root my stock S3 was following the description here - updated to newest root version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1957273 [Old version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...t=1695238]
This will keep the stock firmware and just enable root access allowing for easy over the air or firmware updates via Kies later (you will need to root the phone again after an update though).

Set the flash counter to zero – remove the Triangle:
After rooting the S3 will display a pesky warning triangle on each boot. Use the tool here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...st22463153 (simple install and launch) to get rid of the triangle.

Enable “unknown sources” on your S3 before you install the app: Settings -> Security and lock screen -> Unknown sources

Alternatively you can install the app from the market (paid).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...F3YXkiXQ..

2nd Step – install and configure the necessary applications

For my setup I decided to use the following apps:

- ARLiberator (required)
- Screen Standby (optional - will back out the phone screen while connected to the Appradio to save battery)
- CarHome Ultra (nice Appradio friendly Home screen which will allow you to quickly launch the apps you like)

- Tasker (not longer required with the latest version of ARL)

Applications which I have tested to far:
  • Waze
  • Pioneer CarMedia Player
  • INRIX Traffic
  • DashCommand
  • MX Player
  • TuneIn Radio
  • NDrive

ARLiberator:
Download and install ARL from the play store (paid app):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...JhdG9yIl0.

Once installed, you need to enable the mock location function on your phone. Go to the phone settings -> Developer options -> enable “Allow mock locations”.

After this is done open ARL, grant super user (or root) rights when asked.
Next select settings from the drop down menu in the top right corner.
Enable: Car Mode
Enable: Autodim the Screen (optional, requires Screen Standby to be installed)
Enable: Start Automatically (optional, else you will have to launch ARL each time you reboot the phone manually)

Screen Standby:
Head over to the xda-developers forum and download the latest version of nkahoang's Screen Sandby app (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...=1934495).
ARL has an integrated feature to trigger this app once the connection to the Appradio is established. This will black the phone screen out and save you battery on the phone and prevent the phone from overheating.
This is optional. If you do not install Screen Standby ARL will work as per normal just that the screen remains on.
Once installed, open screen standby and hit the "turn off backlight" button. The app will now check which option to use for your phone and dim/black out the screen after a few seconds. Switch the screen back on by pressing the power button/unlocking the phone.

Once done exit the app (buy nkahoang a Soy Latte first Big Grin ) and proceed with the remaining steps below.
(for further info on the app and it's settings please refer to the XDA thread above)

CarHome Ultra:
Download and install CarHome Ultra from the play store (30day trial – after that paid app):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...Job21lIl0.

Once installed, open CarHome Ultra and select settings from: Menu Button (left beside the home key on the phone) -> Settings

Enable: Auto Day/Night Mode
Enable: Powered Mode
Set the speed, temp and altitude settings to the desired unit
Enable: Set Media Volume and select 100% (in my case required to get the same volume from the phone via HDMI as I get from the radio stations. You might need to experiment with this a bit)
Enable: Button Beep
Enable: Start/Stop Car Mode
Enable: Keep Display on

Once done you can setup the apps you like to be displayed on the Home Screen (tap and hold the desired box to select the apps). By default CarHome Ultra will show the center screen upon start so you might want to select the most used apps for that screen.

Also add the ARL app as a icon so you can disconnect if necessary and use the <- arrow key (will appear once ARL is connected) to get back to the Appradio main menu

Exit CarHome (use the exit icon in the CarHome menu) and afterwards restart it. Now press the home key on the phone. You should get a dialog box asking which home launcher to use when in car mode. Select CarHome Ultra and make it permanent. If this does not come up it should come up later once the phone is fully configured and connected.
This way you will be returned to CarHome Ultra later when you press the Home button on the Appradio.

Exit CarHome

3rd Step – Rock & Roll Big Grin

Following is the sequence in which I connect my phone to the Appradio:
1. Connect it to the MHL adapter to the phone and make sure BT is on
2. Start the car/switch the Appradio on
3. Press the App Icon on the radio to see the status of the connection

What happens next:

1. The phone will connect automatically via BT to the Appradio for the voice functions

2. ARL will come up on the screen and switch to connecting state

3. If you have clicked the app icon on the Appradio before you will see the % of completion of the connection.
The first 50% are the connection between phone and Appradio without involvement of ARL. The phone copies the phone book to the Appradio during that time. The more contacts you have the longer it will take (initially it took 2 minutes for me until I removed a lot of my old not required Google contacts from the phone). UPDATE: if you do not want the appradio to sync the contacts (if you use the android contacts anyway to make calls directly), you can simply decline the phone book sync request the first time you pair the phone and the appradio. Tick do not ask me again and next time ARL will connect in a matter for seconds.

4. Once the % hits 75% ARL is triggered.

5. Once connected you will see the ARL calibration screen (first time only). Calibrate the screen by hitting the red dots.

6. Press the home key on your radio and CAR Home ultra should appear. If it does not, check that the car mode is enabled (in ARL) and that Car Home Ultra is set as default Home when in car mode.

To disconnect the phone you just need to switch off your car/appradio

Here is a video of the complete connection process (I still need to update it with the new process which does not require tasker anymore).

I hope that this helps someone in the future and please do not hesitate to post corrections or suggestions on how to improve the above (if you find spelling mistakes you are free to keep them Shy !!).

Issues you might run into:
- ARL connects but touch is not working
I had this a few times when installing updates of ARL. Clearing the ARL cache and running the calibration again (which comes up on the next connect automatically after you cleared the cache) usually did the trick for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
!!! OLD VERSION: The Tasker info below is not longer required with the latest version of ARL. I leave it here for reference only !!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tasker:
Download and install Tasker from the play store (paid app):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...NrZXJtIl0.

Once installed open tasker and grant super user/root rights to the app.
We will use tasker to automate some of the processes required to get ARL connected and to automatically launch CarHome and set some of the variables.

The tasker functions we are interested in are:

- Profiles (a state or action that will trigger tasks)
- Tasks (actual tasks performed in each profile)

I created 3 profiles to be used for Appradio:

- PowerOn
checks if the phone is connected to Power / the MHL adapter

- Appradio
performs all the tasks of connecting the phone and applications

- Accept BT request
monitors the phone for the pesky BT pairing request that comes up each time ARL establishes a connection, accepts it and launches car home
Before you create the profiles, let's create the tasks which will be added to the profiles later.

Important: always use the accept/ok/tick button once you have made changes to tasks, profiles or tasker in order to save the changes.

TASKS:
First I created the task that will set a variable when the phone is connected to power/mhl

Go to the Tasks screen and press +

Enter the name for the task: Onpower
Press + and select Variable -> Variable Set
Enter %ONPOWER (all in capital letters) in the name field and enter 2 in the To field. Press OK

Press + and select Task -> Stop.
Leave all fields as default and press ok
Press ok to save the task

Enter the name for the task: Offpower
Enter %ONPOWER in the name field and enter 1 in the To field. Press OK

With this the Power related tasks are completed.

Next we create the task that will accept the BT pairing request and launches CarHome.

Enter the name for the task: Accept BT pairing

Press + and select Input -> Dpad
Select Down from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 2.
Enable If and enter %ONPOWER ~ 2 in the prepared fields (%ONPOWER and in the field after the ~ enter the 2). This will prevent any other BT pairing request to be accepted unless the phone is connected to Power or the MHL adapter.
Press OK

Select Right from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 1.
Enable If and enter %ONPOWER ~ 2 in the prepared fields (%ONPOWER and in the field after the ~ enter the 2). Press OK

Select Press from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 1.
Enable If and enter %ONPOWER ~ 2 in the prepared fields (%ONPOWER and in the field after the ~ enter the 2). Press OK

Press + and select Task -> Wait
Increase the seconds counter to 2 press ok

Press + and select App -> LoadApp -> CarHome Ultra

With this the BT Pairing related task is complete.

The final tasks will launch ARL once the phone is connected and take care of shutting stuff down once it is disconnected.

[!!! UPDATED !!!]

Enter the name for the task: Appradio Connected
Press + and select Net -> WiFi
Select Off from the button drop down menu (I use this to prevent my phone to log in to WiFi networks I have configured along the way as this will break my internet connection each time).
Enable If and enter %ONPOWER ~ 2 in the prepared fields (%ONPOWER and in the field after the ~ enter the 2).
Press OK

(this entry might not be 100% necessary.....)
Press + and select Display -> Car Mode
Select On from the button drop down menu.

Press + and select App -> LoadApp -> ARLiberator

!!! NEW !!!
This will hit the connect button in ARL and connect the phone to the Appradio.

Press + and select Task -> Wait.
Increase seconds to 1
Press ok

Select Down from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 3.
Press OK

Select Press from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 1.
Press OK

Enter the name for the task: Appradio Disconnected
Press + and select App -> Kill App -> Car Home Ultra
Select Use Root
Press OK

Press + and select Display -> Car Mode
Select Off from the button drop down menu.
Press OK

Press + and select Net -> WiFi
Select On from the button drop down menu
Press OK

Press + and select Audio Settings -> Media Volume
Increase the Level to 8
Press OK

With this the Appradio connection related task is complete.

PROFILES:
Next setup the Profiles which will trigger the related tasks.

Go to the Profiles tab of tasker.

Power Profile
Press + and enter the name of the profile: PowerOn
First Context select: State -> Power -> Power
Select Source: Any
Press ok
Task Selection: Select Onpower
Once done you will see the new profile, and the Power Any state as well as the first task below it.
Next press and old the Onpower task you can see. In the menu select: Add Exit Task -> Offpower
With this the profile which detects and sets the variable for PowerOn is completed

Appradio Profile
Press + and enter the name of the profile: Appradio
First Context select: State -> Net -> Bluetooth Connected
Name: Press the magnifying glass and you should see a list of paired BT devices with the Appradio included in the list (if you paired it before).
Select the Appradio
Press ok
Task Selection: Select Appradio Connected
Next press and old the Appradio Connected task you can see. In the menu select: Add Exit Task -> Appradio Disconnected
With this the Appradio/ARL launch profile is completed

BT Pairing Profile
Press + and enter the name of the profile: BT Pairing
First Context select: Event -> UI -> New Window
Label: Bluetooth pairing request
Window Type select: Dialog
Press ok
Task Selection: Accept BT pairing

With this all Profiles are complete.

Make sure all profiles are active (tick behind the profile name) and that tasker is activated (on lower right corner).

Press OK and tasker will close.

3nd Step – Rock & Roll Big Grin

Following is the sequence in which I connect my phone to the Appradio:
1. Unlock phone
2. Connect it to the MHL adapter and make sure BT is on
3. Start the car/switch the Appradio on
4. Press the App Icon to see the status of the connection

What happens next:

1. Tasker will detect that the phone is connected to power and start the OnPower Task which will set the %ONPOWER variable to 2 and therefore enable all the other tasks

2. The phone will connect automatically via BT to the Appradio for the voice functions

3. Tasker will detect that the phone is connected to the Appradio via BT and will disable WiFi, enable the car mode and start ARL

!!! NEW !!!!

4. ARL will come up on the screen. Tasker will hit the connect button and ARL will go into the connecting state

5. If you have clicked the app icon on the Appradio before you will see the % of completion of the connection.
The first 50% are the connection between phone and Appradio without involvement of ARL. The phone copies the phone book to the Appradio during that time. The more contacts you have the longer it will take (initially it took 2 minutes for me until I removed a lot of my old not required Google contacts from the phone).

6. Once the % hits 75% ARL is triggered. You should now see the pairing request come up on the phone

7. Watch it and you should see next how it is automatically accepted by tasker (ok button is pressed)

8. As soon as this is done, CarHome Ultra will launch on the phone

9. Shortly after you will see it appear on the Appradio and you are ready to rock & roll Cool

To disconnect the phone you just need to switch off your car/appradio

Tasker will realize that the Appradio is not longer connected via BT and kill CarHome Ultra (do not have it kill ARL as you might have trouble otherwise next time you connect), disable the car mode, enable wifi and set the media volume to 8 (or whatever you set in tasker).

Currently there is still a issue with the auto connect function of ARL and the S3 (at least with my firmware). If you reboot/Shut down the phone, ARL will not be able to connect to the Appradio with touch function enabled if autoconnect was on or ARL was not disconnected prior to the shut down/reboot.

---------------------------------------------------

Tasker Backup of above description:

Unzip the attached, copy the XML file to your tasker/ directory and restore the settings from within tasker. Note: it will overwrite all your existing tasks and profiles.

After that you need to update the BT connection Profile as it points to my Appradio and it's BT ID which I assume will be different from yours.

Attached File(s)
.zip  userbackup.zip (Size: 1.21 KB / Downloads: 160)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
RE: Samsung Galaxy S3 & ARLiberator - Full Setup Description
Is there a way you can make a backup file of this process so I can easily load it into tasker?

Uribees

Verizon Moto X Rooted 4.4
10-17-2012, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012 06:26 PM by 1miracle2.)
Great work man, you put a ton of detail for everyone. This info will even help non sgsiii users. Thx a mill!

Sprint-SGS3 SPH-L710 rooted w/stock ROM
Stock GalaxyTab 7.7 VerizonLTE ver3.2 Honeycomb (rooted)
MHL Adapter type: (official samsung adapter)
2012 DodgeRAM 1500 5.7 HEMI CrewCab
Pioneer AppRadio2 w/microbypass / HiFonics Brutus 1700.1D / 2-10" DVC / 6-OHM Audiobahns / RFPunch 300x4
10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
yea good job...works great.
i really dont like car home ultra though ,id rather just use the phone itself on the screen.but great job.
tasker info was awsome.thanksSmile
10-19-2012, 03:30 AM
thanks guys. once MHL/Screen blocker is implemented by Kyle and launched I will update the above to include that as well.
10-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Could I just use the bluetooth task to auto pair each time ? and not use the rest of the tasks ?

The bluetooth pair request is the only thing I need to wait for when I plug in my SG S3 phone, if tasker could do that then I could just plug in and go.
10-19-2012, 05:03 AM
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 & ARLiberator - Full Setup Description
Yes, just add the BT Pair task (remove the carhome ultra launch from it) and create the BT Pairing Profile.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
10-19-2012, 01:38 PM
(10-19-2012 04:31 AM)bigcod Wrote:  Could I just use the bluetooth task to auto pair each time ? and not use the rest of the tasks ?

The bluetooth pair request is the only thing I need to wait for when I plug in my SG S3 phone, if tasker could do that then I could just plug in and go.

if you don't want to deal with any of the tasker/pairing BS just load CM10 or another aosp rom on your phone. its always an alternative at least.
10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
For BT Pairing Request automation only:

Tasker:
Download and install Tasker from the play store (paid app):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...NrZXJtIl0.

Once installed open tasker and grant super user/root rights to the app.
We will use tasker to automate the BT Pairing Request that pops up each time on the stock rom when ARL connects to the Appradio.

The tasker functions we are interested in are:

- Profiles (a state or action that will trigger tasks)
- Tasks (actual tasks performed in each profile)

I created 2 profiles to be used for Appradio:

- PowerOn
checks if the phone is connected to Power / the MHL adapter

- Accept BT request
monitors the phone for the pesky BT pairing request that comes up each time ARL establishes a connection & accepts it.

Important: always use the accept/ok/tick button once you have made changes to tasks, profiles or tasker in order to save the changes.

TASKS:
First I created the task that will set a variable when the phone is connected to power/mhl

Enter the name for the task: Onpower
Enter %ONPOWER (all in capital letters) in the name field and enter 2 in the To field. Press OK

Enter the name for the task: Offpower
Enter %ONPOWER in the name field and enter 1 in the To field. Press OK

With this the Power related tasks are completed.

Next we create the task that will accept the BT pairing request..

Enter the name for the task: Accept BT pairing

Select Down from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 2.
Enable If and enter %ONPOWER ~ 2 in the prepared fields (%ONPOWER and in the field after the ~ enter the 2). This will prevent any other BT pairing request to be accepted unless the phone is connected to Power or the MHL adapter.
Press OK

Select Right from the button drop down menu. Increase the Repeat Times counter to 1.

With this the BT Pairing related task is complete.

PROFILES:
Next setup the Profiles which will trigger the related tasks.

Go to the Profiles tab of tasker.

Power Profile
Press + and enter the name of the profile: PowerOn
First Context select: State -> Power -> Power
Select Source: Any
Press ok
Task Selection: Select Onpower
Once done you will see the new profile, and the Power Any state as well as the first task below it.
Next press and old the Onpower task you can see. In the menu select: Add Exit Task -> Offpower
With this the profile which detects and sets the variable for PowerOn is completed

BT Pairing Profile
Press + and enter the name of the profile: BT Pairing
First Context select: Event -> UI -> New Window
Label: Bluetooth pairing request
Window Type select: Dialog
Press ok
Task Selection: Accept BT pairing

With this all Profiles are complete.

Make sure all profiles are active (tick behind the profile name) and that tasker is activated (on lower right corner).

Press OK and tasker will close and you should be done Big Grin
10-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I'll have an s3 to play with soon Big Grin