App Radio Forums » AppRadio 2 » Android » ARLiberator v » Steps to Liberating your AppRadio Welcome back, Guest. Please Login or Register.

Steps to Liberating your AppRadio
10-03-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 01:30 PM by stackTrase.)
Steps to Liberating your AppRadio
Here are some basic steps to liberating your AppRadio stereo

1. Check your phone is on the compatibility list provided by Pioneer at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/C...SPH-DA100)

2. Check the version of Android on your phone. This must be 3.0 or above.

3. Your phone must be rooted. Don't take it for granted, check you have root access. There are various methods for checking for root, one method is https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...heck&hl=en

When considering your rooting method and whether you are going to move away from the OEM ROM, ensure that whichever you choose supports MHL. Just supporting HDMI is not enough, this will just replay onto the AppRadio without allowing the touch controls to work.

5. You will need a suitable MHL/HDMI cable for your phone. This does not necessarily need be a genuine expensive one, but does need to be one for your phone. Different phones require different cables so you will need to check this for yourself.

Now you have a rooted phone on the right ROM and a suitable cable you can move into doing some installs.

Best is to first go down the Pioneer OEM route to prove you have the basics in place.

6. Install the AppRadio app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...wsMSwyLDNd

Follow the instructions with the stereo to pair the devices and connect up to Advanced App mode. Satisfy yourself that things are working as they should be. Maybe even install Waze or similar to test out the touch interface.

Once you are happy it is all working, you can uninstall the Pioneer AppRadio application.

7. Now go and purchase the ARLiberator application from https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...wsMSwyLDNd

Once installed start the application and go into settings. Tick at least the "Automatically Connect" option.

Make sure the phone is in a landscape position and on the ARLiberator main screen press the connect button. You will then get the spinning circle to show it is waiting with connecting at the bottom.

8. Now plug in the MHL connector from the AppRadio and then switch on the stereo.

Once the Advanced App Mode icon on the phone lights up you should be able to press it and see the connecting percentage on the screen.

Once this has got to 100% (can take a few seconds) you should then get the calibration screen with the red dot. Chase the red dot around the screen by pressing it and once it has calibrated you should be taken to the AppRadio where touch should now work and you are Liberated Big Grin

Sometimes it doesn't always do the calibration (as in doesn't do anything when you press the dot, or doesn't respond after calibration). You may get the touch not enabled icon come up when you try the touch interface. If this happens, switch off and repeat the process as it will often work a second or third time.

I have written this from memory, so please point out any mistakes and I will correct them as we go. But hopefully it is a start to help new members.

Read the FAQ, then try a SEARCH before posting questions.

Google Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
RE: Steps to Liberating your AppRadio
Your second to last paragraph has a typo or something in it as it doesn't make sense.
10-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks, fixed and tried to make a bit clearer.

10-07-2012, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 04:47 PM by stargate125645.)
Nicely written. Thanks! Makes more sense now. When referring to buttons that have multiple words describing them, using quotation marks can help clarify the particular words that refer to the button. Are these steps to be taken every time or just for initial setup?
10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
You should only have to go through this all once.

From then on it should just be making sure ARLiberator is running when you plug it into the stereo.

I find for the best results, check ARLiberator is running on your phone (start it and press connect if not). Then plug in the MHL lead and then switch on the stereo (ignition or whatever it is for your car).

10-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I would like to add what some of you may have already pointed out to me in another thread and that is that you require a switch or micro bypass to get ARLiberator working properly.

Hmmm. That also brings question to mind, why wasn't I able to get Pioneer's AppRadio working at all with either MHL adapters? Crude, I ordered the microbypass thinking that was the issue but if I'm in park and I have the parking brake on I should be able load Pioneers AppRadio app. Ugh.

Sprint-SGS3 SPH-L710 rooted w/stock ROM
Stock GalaxyTab 7.7 VerizonLTE ver3.2 Honeycomb (rooted)
MHL Adapter type: (official samsung adapter)
2012 DodgeRAM 1500 5.7 HEMI CrewCab
Pioneer AppRadio2 w/microbypass / HiFonics Brutus 1700.1D / 2-10" DVC / 6-OHM Audiobahns / RFPunch 300x4
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Are you connecting USB as well as HDMI to the adapter?
Can you try it on a TV?
Does the ROM you are running on your phone support HDMI?
Does your phone support HDMI?
10-09-2012, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 01:58 AM by rest0fmyl1fe.)
it doesn't work on 2.3 versions only 3.0 or higher i been trying to get it to work on my Droid Charge for awhile now doesn't work at all only get mirror mode cant touch the screen. i have rooted my phone and have Tweaked 3.0 and still cant get it to work there is nothing out their to move firmware up to 3.0 + also i did already report this all updates i got will not install only one i got to install is the version with file size 212KB (you guys are now on file size 233KB) i can not install that

added a screen shot of Google play with all my phones all phones are 2.3 phones

do see is that you say
* Gingerbread OS has not been activated in the play store version at time of writing and will show as not compatible. Is expected soon.

but it doesn't work at all yet for 2.3

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Android 4.1.1
rooted with Stock Rom
Kernel: 3.0.31-414933
Samsung Dongle
Pioneer AppRadio2 with switch bypas
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks I changed it. It seems like older phones don't have the kernel module that was used either so I don't think it will be possible.
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 01:36 PM by rest0fmyl1fe.)
im going to try more steps on trying to get it to work if i have any luck ill let u kno.

if you want i can post load a zip of 2.3 files so u can see them

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Android 4.1.1
rooted with Stock Rom
Kernel: 3.0.31-414933
Samsung Dongle
Pioneer AppRadio2 with switch bypas